Today is a good day for chewy, gooey almond flour chocolate chip cookies! These cookies are perfectly crisp on the outside and gooey in the middle. Once they cool, they become more chewy due to the almond flour and are so morish as my mom would say.
These almond flour chocolate chip cookies are naturally gluten free with the use of almond flour. I don’t care about eating gluten free personally but I have a few people in my life who are gluten intolerant and/or celiac so I enjoy developing some recipes they can also enjoy. I find I’m often frustrated when searching for a gluten free dessert recipe as a lot of them tend to be healthier as well. If I’m bringing a dessert that everyone can eat, people that can’t eat gluten included, then I want a delicious no calories counted dessert. Obviously, I do believe in healthier treat options too but these cookies aren’t meant to be that. No healthier substitutions or trying to be low fat, etc., just a delicious buttery, chocolate chip cookie.
As I’m not typically a gluten free baker, I do try to stick to simple flours that I have in my house rather then gluten free flour replacements as I honestly never buy them. They’re expensive and I typically have no reason to buy them. I prefer just using almond flour or coconut flour generally. The almond flour in these chocolate chip cookies gives them a great taste and chewy texture if you need a mixup in your chocolate chip cookie game. Even people in my family who shy away from anything with “different” ingredients love these cookies!
- Ensure you are using a superfine almond flour. Almond meal is typically coarser and I’m not sure how it would turn out in these cookies.
- If you want a gooier middle, pull these out of the oven once the edges start to feel a little firm. This will give out the crispy edge and gooey middle which is my personal favourite way to eat a cookie.
- Chilling time: I prefer not chilling the dough as the cookies spread perfectly but if you want a slightly thicker cookie, chill the dough for 1 hour, then bake.
- I create my recipes based off weights so I recommend measuring by weights if you own a scale. It’s actually so much easier and makes for much less cleanup. I wish I had baked by weight from the beginning, I could never go back now.
Today’s song is one I know from one of my favourite movie’s George of the Jungle. It is sung by the late and great Johnny Clegg who was an amazing activist during Apartheid in South Africa. Here’s Dela by Johnny Clegg. Happy Baking!! **Disclaimer: Liv’s Little Muffins owns no rights to this song.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (135g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (225g) superfine almond flour
- 1 tbsp (9g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (160g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. Beat on medium high speed for 3 minutes, until creamy.
- Add in egg and mix until combined. Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add in the almond flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Here you can either bake straight away or chill, *see notes.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tbsp size cookies and make sure they're at least an inch apart so they don't spread into each other. Bake for 11 minutes or until the edges are just starting to firm.
- Let cool on the tray for at least 10 minutes or they will fall apart. Let fully cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days and enjoy!!