Today I’ve got these amazing buttery chocolate chip cookies with pecans and a pop of orange flavour. The best part, no mixer required!
I love adding orange to desserts, especially anything with chocolate. I grew up with the tradition of getting a Terry’s chocolate orange in my stocking every year for Christmas so I always find these two flavours together very nostalgic. Plus, it’s one of the best flavour combinations in my opinion. The citrusy note of the orange combined with the richness of the chocolate is just sublime. If you’re not a big orange person, I encourage you to still try these as the orange flavour is just a complimenting flavour and not overwhelming.
If you’re looking for a more citrusy kick, check out my creamy lime bars.
In order to make these chocolate chip cookies an easy no mixer required recipe, we add in melted butter as well as cornstarch. This makes it easy to whisk by hand as you don’t need to cream the butter and sugars. The melted butter also helps us get those beautiful wrinkled craggily edges which just make my mouth water! Also, on a side note, never thought I’d be describing a feature of a cookie that makes them more desirable as craggily and wrinkled. Hah! Plus, I always like having some cookie recipes in my back pocket that have melted butter in case I forgot to leave some butter out before I want to bake.
- Where these chocolate chip cookies are made with melted butter vs room temperature butter, I recommend chilling the dough for a minimum of 2 hours. If you do bake right away, the cookies with spread and be very flat.
- I also recommend chilling the dough overnight if you can as this allows the flavours to marinate more and you will get a better orange flavour. The cookies will also be thicker and bake nicer with those dreamy craggly edges.
- I create my recipes based off weights so I recommend measuring by weights if you own a scale. It’s actually so much easier and makes for much less cleanup. I wish I had baked by weight from the beginning, I could never go back now.
Today’s song is from an amazing band with such cool sounds. His voice is my heaven. Here’s Half the City by St. Paul and the Broken Bones. Happy baking!! **Disclaimer: Liv’s Little Muffins owns no rights to this song.
Orange Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups (270g) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (9g) cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (171g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (90g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- Zest from 2 navel oranges
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (105g) chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup (120g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- Place your butter in a large microwave safe bowl and melt in 20 second increments until fully melted.
- Add your white sugar, brown sugar and orange zest and whisk for 1 minute until well combined.
- Add in the egg, orange juice and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and using a spatula, fold until combined. Then add in the chopped pecans and chocoalte chips and fold until combined.
- Cover the dough and set in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably overnight for a thicker cookie with more orange flavour.
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Line or spray a baking pan.
- Scoop heaping 2 tbsp size balls and make sure they are at least 2 inches apart so they don't spread into each other. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the edges are just starting to turn golden.
- Let fully cool before storing in an airtight container for up to 5 days.