Today, I’ve got a delicious chocolatey gluten free muffin for you. These chocolate almond banana muffins are one of my son’s favourites as they’re very chocolatey but unbeknownst to him actually pretty healthy.
These chocolate muffins are easy and quick to whip up and because they’re made with almond flour, are higher in good fats, protein and fibre. This makes them perfect for either a snack or breakfast. I like to pack these for my breakfast at work as well as in my son’s lunch kit.
- Make sure are using a fine ground almond flour and not an almond meal
- Whenever making any kind of muffin with banana, ensure the bananas are overripe, with brown skin, or they won’t incorporate as well into your recipe. They also won’t bring as much flavour. If you don’t have any bananas at this stage of ripeness, often grocery stores will sell the overripe bananas for this purpose. This to me is a win win as it also helps reduce food waste!
- If you specifically want these muffins to be gluten free, ensure all of your ingredients are certified gluten free, especially if you’re baking for someone with a gluten allergy.
- I create my recipes based off weights so I recommend measuring by weights if you own a scale. It’s actually so much easier and makes for much less cleanup. I wish I had baked by weight from the beginning, I could never go back now.
Today’s song choice goes back to my days in North Dakota, where I went to university. One of my favourite all time bands, The 4ontheFloor, are from Minneapolis and I saw them live at least 3 times while I lived in the States. They’re so much fun to listen too, especially live. I hope they play in my area someday soon! This is the first song I ever heard by them and definitely appropriate for the college life hah! This is On Tuesdays by The 4onthefloor. **Disclaimer: This song may be inappropriate for children due to talk of alcohol. Liv’s Little Muffins owns no rights to this song.
Chocolate Almond Banana Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas (~400g skin on, ~250g peeled)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (60g) brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp almond extract (vanilla extract if you don't have almond)
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (40g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line or spray 12 muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash your bananas. Add in eggs, brown sugar and almond extract. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill each tin to almost completely full. Bake at 425℉ for 7 minutes and then drop the temperature to 350℉ and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the tin before moving them to a cooling rack. Allow them to completely cool and then store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!!